Comets Welcome New Coaches

As the fall sports competition season begins, I would like to take a few minutes to introduce our new fall Athletic & Activities Staff.  I think we have done an excellent job recruiting high quality individuals that will help us promote education-based programming for our students here at McCluer.  Please help welcome our NEW staff!

Head Football Coach: Brice Beck
Brice comes to us with five years of coaching and teaching experience from Dexter and Hayti High Schools in Southeast Missouri.  He teaches Physical Education at McCluer and played Quarterback at Iowa State University in the Big XII Conference before transferring to Arkansas State University.
Assistant Football Coaches:
Linwood Barnes: Linwood has over a decade experience coaching football and will sevrve as the defensive coordinator for the Comets this season.  He teaches in the Hazelwood School District.
John Clay: Coach Clay has two decades of football coaching experience and has stops at Riverview Gardens and most recently at East St. Louis High School.  He played football at the University of Missouri and in the NFL for the Oakland Raiders.
Craig Iverson:  Craig teaches math at McCluer and has returned to the football sideline this season working with the offense and serving as the Head Coach for the JV.
Ron Russell:  Ron teaches Industrial Tech at McCluer and has returned to football sideline this season working with the defense and also serves as the JV Defensive Coordinator
Head Cross Country:  Cameron Ulrich
Cameron teaches English at McCluer and will take on his first head coaching role.  He is an avid runner who trains for marathons giving him the training experience necessary to coach the Comets cross country team.
Assistant Cross Country: Austin Koenig
Austin teaches math at Cross Keys and is in his first year in the district.  He was the captain of the cross country team at Jackson High School and is an avid distance runner.
Assistant Boys Soccer: Jose Velez
Jose Velez teaches in the English Department at McCluer and sponsors several clubs and activities, such as: The Latino Student Group and Vision.  He has coaches basketball and volleyball previously and will join the soccer coaching staff this fall as the JV Coach.
Head Girls Tennis Coach: Michelle Ortiz
Michelle works for SSD and is placed at Ferguson Middle.  She has served for several years as the assistant boys and girls tennis coach and will assume the Girls Head Coaching responsibilities this fall.  She was a standout high school tennis player and still plays recreationally.
Assistant Girls Tennis: David Gwydir
David has an extensive coaching background and has been on the the McCluer Girls Soccer Coaching staff.  He joins the Girls Tennis staff this season as an assistant coach and is an English teacher at Ferguson Middle.
Assistant Volleyball Coach: Stephanie Beacham
Stephanie returns to the sideline of the girls volleyball team and will assume the responsibilities of the Head JV Coach of the Comets.  She has an extensive playing and coaching background and teaches math at McCluer
Head Cheer: Candice DeBoise
Candice has ten years of coaching experience, including Cheer, Tennis, and Track & Field.  She coached the award-winning Carnahan Cheer team, teaches Special Education at Carnahan, was a college cheerleader at Lincoln University, and is a fitness guru.
Assistant Cheer: Tiffany Furr
Tiffany joins the cheer staff as an assistant coach.  She was a McCluer graduate and a Comet Cheerleader and works in the business field.
Marching Band Director: Tyler Moore
Tyler was the Assistant Band Director last season and comes to McCluer full time this year.  He serves many roles, including Marching Band Director and Pep Band Director.  he is an accomplished musician and plays several instruments.
Assistant Band: Caitlin Gierer
Caitlin is an elementary music teacher in the district and travels to several elementary schools.  She is a life-long musician and has experience working with Marching Band at Union High School.
Drumline Coordinator: Charles Carpenter
Charles has an extensive background teaching music, band, and directing drumlines.  He has previously served as a Band Director in the St. Louis Public School systems, serves as a substitute teacher in the district, and runs a community-based music education program.

GO COMETS,