College 101: Advice from a McCluer Alumni

Emily Ahrens, McCluer Graduate - 2015

Hello McCluer High school, from Southeast Missouri State University! For those of you who know me, hello again! For those of you who don’t know me, how about a quick summary. My name is Emily Ahrens. I’m a freshman at SEMO, down in Cape Girardeau, MO. I graduated in May of 2015 from McCluer, and am currently starting the path to getting a degree in Elementary Education (yes I know basic white girl). During my high school career, I was co-editor of yearbook and newspaper, involved in Student Government, NHS, and Science Club. While I miss my Comet family, I am having a blast in college. I’ve only been here for a semester, but it’s already been a wonderful experience and I wouldn’t give it up for anything. For those of you who will be attending college next year, here are some things to know that will help make your experience as great as mine, or better!

1.Get involved!

Your college will probably host a number of events in the first couple weeks, in order to allow people to socialize and have fun. Go to them! They are great ways to meet new people. Don’t be afraid to just go up to someone, and say hi! Everyone else is probably just as nervous as you are, so don’t be afraid to meet new people! Also, these events have free stuff! And the number one rule of college is: Never pass up free stuff!

1. Go to class!

You’re paying for that class! If you don’t go to class, you’re missing out on valuable information that will help you during tests and quizzes. And sometimes, teachers will see that half the class is missing and give an easy 50 point pop quiz to award those who show up to class. So don’t take the chance of missing out on easy points or valuable information, and just go to class!

1. Don’t sign up for 8am classes!

Trust me, this is one of the biggest mistakes you will ever make. You think, “Oh I had an 8am class everyday for 15 years, I’ll be fine!” NO. YOU WON’T. Your parents aren’t with you to wake you up!

1. Learn how to wash your clothes and do other chores.

It’s amazing how many people come to college and don’t know how to do their laundry, how to clean up after themselves, or that they need to put water in easy mac. You don’t want to be the person that everyone talks about because you accidentally put you pop tart in the microwave for 30 minutes. So save yourself the hassle and embarrassment, and learn how to do these things.

1. Take roommate agreements seriously!

You have to live with this person for an entire year. So when writing up your roommate agreement, take it seriously. Don’t say “Oh, I don’t really care, it doesn’t really matter”. It does matter. Because later, you’ll have a problem, and you’ll regret not caring about your agreement.

1. International students are awesome!

I have met so many amazing people from a plethora of different countries like Nepal, Japan, Saudi Arabia, & Bangladesh. It’s amazing to meet people from different places and experience new cultures. Especially since we don’t get much exposure to these cultures in Ferguson. So make friends with some international students, I promise you won’t regret it.