• Scroll down to take the latest Daily Comet poll

• "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." -- Bob Marley

• "The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within -- strength, courage, dignity." -- Ruby Dee

• "The man who can read but doesn't has no appreciable advantage over the man who can't read."-- Mark Twain

• Every Day Counts... Be Here, Learn More!

MCCLUER AJROTC CADET’S NAVAL ACADEMY EXPERIENCE CHARTS COURSE TO FUTURE

Senior Martrez Tureaud was selected to attend the The United States Naval Academy (USNA) 2017 Summer Seminar 10-15 June 2017.

When a recruiter from the United States Naval Academy (USNA) in Annapolis, MD visited students in the McCluer High School Army JROTC program last school year, the recruiter’s presentation piqued the interest of Martrez Tureaud enough to apply for the school’s prestigious USNA Summer Seminar. Little did Tureaud know that he would be accepted and his experience this past June would chart the course to his future.

“I will be applying to attend the USNA, majoring in mechanical engineering while seeking a commission as an officer in the Navy or Marine Corps,” said Tureaud, who is in his senior year at McCluer. “My ultimate goal is to become a Navy SEAL or member of the Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command (MARSOC).”

Tureaud’s experience during the six-day USNA Summer Seminar provided a taste of what the Naval Academy offers through its exceptional academic, athletic, extracurricular activities and leadership training programs. The program is offered exclusively to selected young men and women who have demonstrated academic performance; achievement in leadership, athletics and extracurricular activities; have a positive attitude, self-discipline and good moral character; physical fitness and good health and geography.

“I have nothing but confidence in Cadet Tureaud’s abilities,” said LTC (R) Darrell Gray, McCluer’s Army JROTC Senior Army Instructor. “Through his experience in the ROTC program and the USNA Summer Seminar, Cadet Tureaud has learned discipline and leadership skills necessary for success in any type of military environment.”

During the USNA Summer Seminar, Tureaud and other nationwide participants attended a variety of academic workshops on topics that ranged from information technology and computer and Naval weapons systems, to nuclear engineering and electrical and biometrics engineering.

Tureaud admits the fast-paced USNA Summer Seminar was a challenge, but says if given the opportunity to do it again, he would gladly do it, as well as recommend the program to other McCluer students.

“The USNA Summer Seminar provides a 24-7 experience of life at the Academy. It helped me with my leadership, discipline and character skills and provided insight into academic courses and training necessary to have success at the Academy and as an active duty member of the military,” said Tureaud, who comes from a family with a strong military background.

Thanks to the support of Tureaud’s mentor Dr. (and Mrs.) William Whitson, McCluer’s Army JROTC Department, PTSO, students and staff, Tureaud was able to attend the USNA Summer Session at no cost to him or his family. His tuition, fees, room and board, transportation to and from Annapolis, as well as a little extra traveling cash were all provided through donations.

“I am grateful to everyone who assisted in making this happen for me,” said Tureaud. “The six days I spent at the USNA Summer Seminar provided me with first-hand insight of what my future may be.”