• Scroll down to take the latest Daily Comet poll

• "You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." -- Bob Marley

• "The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within -- strength, courage, dignity." -- Ruby Dee

• "The man who can read but doesn't has no appreciable advantage over the man who can't read."-- Mark Twain

• Every Day Counts... Be Here, Learn More!

Students Participate in National Youth Summit and Gateway2Change Leadership Events

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ms. Pegues, Faculty Contributor

Earlier this week several students had the opportunity to attend programs focused on issues related to social justice. (November 12, 13, 14)  The National Youth Summit Leadership Academy on Education, Justice and the US Economy, presented by the Andrew Young Foundation, was a multiple day event where students were able to ask a panel of judges questions about our justice system and attend workshops that addressed the school to prison pipeline, the importance of community involvement, and financial responsibility.  Another group of students attended The Gateway2Change Student Summit on Race, where they had a dialogue discussing the importance and challenges of discussing the topics of race and culture.  A special thanks to Mr. Gerald for providing our students with these educational experiences, and an additional thanks to Dr. Erwin, Ms. Miller, Mr. Velez, and Mr. Hosea for their assistance!